Because we can’t run the festival without you! The continued success of the Vancouver Asian Film Festival is a reflection of the energy, passion and dedication VAFF volunteers demonstrate year after year. From annual events, ticket sales, festival screenings, and after parties, volunteers help out with all aspects of the festival, which would not be possible without their valuable contributions. As we celebrate our 20th year, we would like to say a sincere “thank you” to this amazing and hardworking group — and hope you will join us this year!
The Vancouver Asian Film Festival Society (VAFF) is a non-profit organization that celebrates diversity in film. The longest-running Canadian film festival of its kind, VAFF was founded by independent filmmaker and writer Barbara K. Lee in 1995 and debuted in September 1997. VAFF is entirely organized and produced by a group of dedicated volunteers, and is made possible by generous financial support from corporate sponsors, public funders and private donors. We are proud of our volunteers’ dedication and enthusiasm in promoting cultural diversity and playing an essential role in the arts and culture scene in Vancouver
What is it like to be a VAFF Volunteer?
From the Executive Team to the general festival and event volunteers, we are grateful for the generous support we receive from our Board and community, and from each other. We strive to create a professional and fun-filled atmosphere, one that values everyone’s contribution of skills, time and energy.
This positive (and fun—did we already mention fun?) environment brings back many volunteers year after year. Many in our volunteer group hang out outside of the festival events and become friends, enjoying the films and parties together as a group.
Benefits to Volunteers
At the four-day November festival
- Receive recognition: Volunteer Certificates and/or Reference Letters are available if minimum volunteer requirements are met
- Gain leadership/organizational skills
- Meet filmmakers and actors, from Vancouver and internationally
- Meet new people and make new friends, from Vancouver and visitors from around the world
- Help increase intercultural sharing and understanding, in Vancouver and beyond
- Receive item giveaways at the Volunteer Appreciation Party, including gift certificates from the legendary Anna’s Cakehouse in Vancouver
- Have lots of FUN (really, we mean it)!
Throughout the year
- Free access to some VAFF events and VAFF partner events throughout the year, including reciprocal volunteer arrangements with some of our partner festivals and organizations
- VAFF film screening vouchers at the festival and throughout the year, and a limited number of festival program tickets for friends and family (for pre-festival annual event volunteers)