What Is Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, such as someone’s name, date of birth, or home address.
What Types of Personal Information VAFF Collects and How
- Personal information you provide to us: You may be asked to voluntarily provide your personal information to VAFF anytime you are in contact with VAFF, including contact by telephone or email, through the VAFF website, or in person. For example, when you purchase a ticket from VAFF, donate to VAFF, sign up for a membership, subscribe to our newsletter or participate in one of our promotional activities, VAFF may collect personal information required to manage your purchase, donation or membership, including your name, address, email address and phone number. VAFF may also collect your name and contact information when you sign up for our e-newsletter, contact us by email or telephone or interact with us on social media.
- Personal information you provide about others: You might also provide VAFF with the personal information of other persons, such as business associates or co-workers. Please ensure that you have the consent of other persons before you provide their personal information to VAFF.
- Personal information from third parties: In some cases, VAFF may collect personal information from third parties. VAFF will only collect your personal information from a third party if we have obtained your consent to do so, if you have provided your consent to the third party, or if we are legally required or permitted to do so. For example, we may collect personal information from a third party when you purchase a ticket from a third party organization or interact with one of our service providers.
How VAFF Uses Personal Information
- to provide our products and services to you, including our events;
- to send our e-newsletter and other informational mailings by mail or email ;
- to send legally required notices and documents such as tax receipts and notices of annual general meetings;
- to notify you of upcoming events and volunteer and employment opportunities and programs;
- to solicit donations or manage payment information;
- to process and respond to your inquiries, requests and other communications;
- to process transactions;
- to improve our service offerings, website and your experience; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
VAFF may combine your personal information collected through various sources, including information collected through the VAFF website and information obtained from other sources.
How VAFF Discloses Personal Information
- to VAFF’s suppliers and service providers (including service providers that provide payment processing, email delivery, marketing and event organization) to assist VAFF in the provision of information, products, services and events to you and to provide services to VAFF;
- to other persons in accordance with specific consents that you give during your interactions and transactions with VAFF;
- as required or authorized by applicable law, including to comply with a court order or if VAFF reasonably believes the disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect and inforce VAFF’s legal rights or to protect the rights of other persons; and
- in connection with a proposed or actual business transaction in which VAFF is involved, such as the sale or transfer of some or all of VAFF’s business or assets, provided that VAFF requires the recipient to agree to protect the privacy of your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
VAFF also collects non-personal information, which means information that is not about an identifiable individual. Non-personal information includes personal information that has been aggregated or otherwise anonymized so that it no longer relates to an identifiable individual. For example, the VAFF website automatically collects certain non-personal information regarding website users, such as the dates and times they access the website, the browsers, operating systems and devices they use to access the website, the website pages they access, and the referring and exit website pages.
VAFF may use, disclose, transfer and retain non-personal information for any purpose and in any manner whatsoever.
Cookies and Other Technologies
VAFF’s website, email messages and advertisements may use “cookies” and other similar technologies, such as web beacons, pixel or gif tags, and action tags, to collect information that assists VAFF to improve its products, services, customer communications and advertising and to prevent fraud. VAFF may use information collected through technological means to improve our products, services, customer communications and advertising, to prevent fraud, to recognize you as a user of VAFF’s websites, to facilitate and improve your use of VAFF’s websites, to confirm that messages have been delivered to and opened by you and to provide you with targeted advertisements.
Social Networking and Similar Situations
Retention, Location and Protection of Personal Information
VAFF will store and process your personal information only in Canada. On occasion, VAFF may use a service provider that stores and processes your personal information in facilities located in countries other than Canada. In those cases, the personal information protection laws of those other jurisdictions may apply. By providing your personal information to VAFF, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to facilities located in other countries and the processing and storage of the personal information at those facilities.
VAFF employs reasonable safeguards – including administrative, technical and physical measures – appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in its possession or under its control in order to protect that information from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, disposal or similar risks.
Accuracy and Access to Personal Information
Personal Information of Children – VAFF does not knowingly collect personal information from or relating to children who are under 13 years of age without the consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian. VAFF expects parents to supervise and monitor their children’s disclosure of personal information, including through VAFF’s website. Please immediately contact VAFF at one of the addresses noted below if you believe that VAFF has unintentionally collected personal information from a child under 13 years of age without the consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian. If VAFF learns that it has inadvertently collected the personal information of a child under 13 years of age without appropriate consent, VAFF will use reasonable efforts to delete that information from its systems (except to the extent that retention of the personal information is required or permitted by applicable law).
Employment – VAFF may use and disclose your personal information to administer and process your application for employment with VAFF and related matters.
Vancouver Asian Film Festival
Attention: Privacy Officer
#367 – 1350 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 0C2
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org