OVERVIEW: Part of the current Programming team (of 5-6) and advisor to come up with the program line up for VAFF’s 4 day (Live/In-Person) film festival along with 6 day (on-line, which follows the live/in-person) film festival (usually commencing the 1st week of November) for all Feature / Shorts screenings.
- Assist the Festival Director to set the timeframes for both film submissions and film selection processing; number of selection rounds; and to determine the percentage of films to pass per round
- Ensure all desired and mandated requirements, for instance, criteria to meet the minimal Canadian content for the Festival and Festival thematic categories etc. has been fulfilled
- Along with the Programming Assistant/Coordinator, Programming Director and the Festival Director, will view the recommended films shortlisted or those that have been tabled, by the rest of the programming team, to make the final selections, keeping in mind all the requirements.
- Assist Festival Director to recommend filmmakers and special guests attendance to enhance screening experience, and outreach to filmmakers and industry influencers to increase audience attendance and cachet of Festival
- Recommend films for additional screenings throughout the year (May – September) and any additional in partnership with sponsors or community partners
- Work closely with the Programming Assistant/Coordinator to ensure success of all the outlined responsibilities through regular organized meetings with team members and to ensure professionalism, positive morale and open communication within the team
- Some Experience using Google Drive
- Some Experience using FilmFreeway
REPORTS TO: Festival Director
- MUST: Complete an approved programming training session approved by the Festival Director, in an agreed upon time frame
- This role is good for someone who:
- Ideally, has extensive festival programming experience
- Is a creative thinker and has leadership skills
- Wants to be an instrumental person in shaping and contributing to the success of the film festival