|Sunday||May 30, 2021||12:00 am PST||Registration Open|
|Tuesday||June 15, 2021||6:00 pm PST||MAMM 16 Info. Session|
|Wednesday||June 30, 2021||11:59 pm PST||Registration and Video Pitch Submission Deadline|
|Wednesday||July 7, 2020||9:00 pm PST||Selected Teams Adjudication Results Announced|
|Saturday – Sunday||July 17 & 18, 2021||TBD||MAMMentorship Workshops for selected teams online|
|Friday – Sunday||August 6, 2021 – August 15, 2021||12:00 am PST
11:59 pm PST
|Competition Period (Film Production/Post Production)|
|Tuesday||August 3, 2021||9:00 pm PST||Script Submission Deadline|
|Sunday||August 15, 2021||11:59 pm PST||Film Submission Deadline|
|Saturday||August 28, 2021||TBD||MAMM16 Gala Screening & Awards Presentation|
What is MAMM?
What is MAMM
MAMM is VAFF’s annual short film-making competition celebrating its 16th year of supporting, fostering and showcasing emerging Asian and mixed Asian filmmakers.
Each year best 8 teams are selected from a myriad of video pitch submissions, and these finalists enter into a 10-day filmmaking contest from production start to finish after receiving masterclass-level MAMMentorship, culminating with a Screening Gala and Awards Ceremony.
Over 120 MAMM films have been completed through this competition giving many emerging filmmakers their first “calling card” film and mid-level filmmakers opportunity to build their filmography. Many of these films have gone on to be screened at festivals around the world and have won many awards.
VAFF is very proud of its many MAMMers that have gone on to enjoy successful careers in the entertainment and media industry and we look forward to incubate, nurture and support many more talented creators.
Choose the Genre. Pitch the Story. Make the Film.
What’s New This Year?
What's New This Year?
In spite of the unprecedented changes and challenges we have to face due to CoVid-19, we did not want to cancel the competition this year, and therefore necessary changes need to be made to ensure the safety, and fun, for all participants.
- Selected 8 Teams of 10 minute Shorts will receive $500 per team. Conditions apply.
- This year only, Registration and Pitch Submission is $35 – 10 minutes, $10 – 1 minutes
- There will be 10 minute Shorts and 1 minute Ultra Shorts categories
- The 1 minute Ultra Shorts category but will also go through an adjudication process based on a Written Pitch.
- More awards will be given out for more categories.
- Film Production must follow WorkSafeBC health & safety protocols strictly, and each Team must come up with their own COVID-19 Safety Plan for their teams with the help of the MAMM Producing team.
- You must incorporate how you respond to the Creative Element “Past, Present, Possibilities“ into your video pitch.
- The MAMMentorship program will be held in the form of Webinars.
- MAMM16 is going NATIONWIDE! Any Canadian or Permanent Resident can lead a Team to enter from anywhere in the country.
Registration & Information Package
Registration and Information Package
- Registration is from May 30 to June 30, 2021
- Complete the registration form
- Video Pitch Submissions before June 30, 2021
- Any questions regarding your registrations can be emailed to: email@example.com
See the MAMM 16 Information Package for more details.
MAMM16 Info Session & Bonus Talk with Aaron Au
– How to Turn MAMM into the Launch Pad to Your Career
Date: June 15, 2021 (Tuesday) 6:00 pm (PST)
Register now: https://mamm16infosession.eventbrite.ca
Aaron Au, the Director of Production & Development at Brightlight Pictures, a MAMM 7 (2011) alumnus and one of our judges of MAMM this year will share insights to why he did MAMM and how he used it as an opportunity to further his film career. Learn some career-changing wisdom from Aaron to get the most out of this competition before submitting your MAMM Pitch or diving into making your Short! This invaluable talk will be followed by an Info Session with the MAMM Producing team where you’ll get an overview of MAMM16 and a chance to ask questions.
You can ask us any questions in advance if you register now.
All registrants will get a chance for a lucky draw to win a ticket to a selected screening during the November 2021 Film Festival.
MAMM 16 Prizes and Promotion
MAMM 16 Prizes and Promotion
The perks of being selected for one of the top 8 competing teams include exclusive mentorship, marketing opportunities, prizes and special screenings. Specifically:
- 8 Selected (10 minutes) teams will receive $500 to make their MAMM Short.
- InKind Support for the production
- one-on-one mentorship with selected teams and industry professionals
- group workshops via Zoom.
Digital promotion for the selected teams on social media and PR opportunities.
Cash prizes and industry in-kind prizes will be awarded for the following adjudicated categories.
- Best Short Film Award
- Best Director Award
- Best Performance Award
- Best Screenwriting Award
- Best Cinematography Award
- Best First Time Director Award
In-kind prizes are given to the audience voted People’s Choice Award winners.
- The People’s Choice Award: Best Overall Short
- The People’s’ Choice Award: Best Performance
All the aforementioned winners will be announced and awarded at the MAMM premiere and awards presentation Event on August 28, 2021, and will be showcased at the 25th Annual Vancouver Asian Film Festival, November 4 – 14, 2021.
Distribution for the winning shorts may be available through VAFF media partners.
MAMMentorship and Production
MAMMentorship and Production
To help emerging filmmakers make the best film they can, VAFF offers the top selected teams to take part in the MAMMentorship program.
In this program, qualifying teams will join specialized workshops by industry professionals and be paired with one of the professionals as their team mentor. The Production period is extended this year and Teams can create their own schedules from prep to shoot to post, as long as submission including uploading of the Final Film meets the deadline. All completed films will receive a screening at the MAMM16 Screening Event as well as at VAFF 2021 in November. Final Films will be adjudicated by a panel of elite judges to win cash and in-kind prizes!
Looking for local talent for your film project?
Looking for actors and production team members for your independent film project?
Check out our MAMM Talent Pool on Facebook to find some fantastic local talent to work on your shoot.
1.What is the rules?
Read through the MAMM 16 Information Package
2. What is the role of Key Creative Members?
All key creative team members (e.g. Team Lead, Producer, Director, Writer, Cinematographer, Editor) and at least one (1) Lead Actor.
3. What is Visible Minority?
see reference – http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3Var.pl?Function=DEC&Id=45152
4. What will consider to disqualify?
- Any team that does not have at least one key creative member from a Visible Minority or of Asian/mixed Asian heritage, is disqualified.
- Any film found not to be created originally for MAMM will be disqualified and will not be screened.
- Any final films and required materials did not submit on the final time.
- Submitted films that are significantly different from the video pitch and submitted script, will be disqualified.
5. How do I attend the Info Session + Bonus Talk with Aaron Au?
Learn more & Register now: https://mamm16infosession.eventbrite.ca
MAMM Production Team
MAMM Production Team
MAMM Director & Producer:
Joshua Lam | Mayumi Yoshida | Nach Dudsdeemaytha | Regina Leung | Arnold Lim
Madison Wong, Production Manager
Kyleen Lee, MAMM Assistant
Vanessa Borowicz, Social Media Editor
Viktoriia Tian, Social Media Editor
Hanlon Wu, Lead Graphic Designer
Garvin LeBlanc, Graphic Designer
Karen Leung, Web Design / Admin
William Hu, Web Design / Admin
Walid El Atrache, Content Director
Christine Pilkington, Social Media Director
Gillian Lo, Creative Director
Vincent Chou, Media Director