Looking for local talent for your film project?
MIGHTY ASIAN MOVIEMAKING MARATHON
What is MAMM?
The Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM) celebrates its 13th year during Summer of 2018 of supporting and showcasing emerging local filmmakers with a bigger national competition.
MAMM13 kicked off with an all-day VAFF Industry Insight Panel Series: Diversity in Filmmaking Day on Saturday June 16th with a series of panel workshops on different aspects of filmmaking. The event is now available on Eventbrite. [Buy your tickets now!]
This year, we introduced the new MAMMentorship program for teams whose video pitches were selected to advance, featuring one-on-one mentorship between selected teams with industry professionals! Also new this year, we will welcome VR Submissions!
Who will win the MAMM13 challenge? Find out which teams will get the top adjudicated prizes. To celebrate MAMM13, we will screen the MAMM13 finalists and you can help us select the “Fan’s Choice Award” (overall short and overall performance) at the MAMM13 Gala Screening & Awards event 6:45pm on Sunday September 9th, 2018 at the Rio Theatre!
We’re also very excited that the luminous Nhi Do – television/film/stage actress, producer, director, with credits including Zack Snyder’s Watchmen (2009) – will be our MC for the evening!
Come see the top films, and stay to congratulate your favourite teams in person at the after party.
- Registration is from June 9, 2018 – July 13, 2018.
- Non-refundable registration fee of $50 per team for 10 minute short category and $10 per team for 1 minute ultrashort category.
- Video Pitch Submissions not necessary to 1 minute ultrashort category.
- 10 minute short category registration
- 1 minute ultrashort category registration
See the MAMM 2018 Registration Information Package for more details.
MAMM13 Creative Producers
Her role as Crown Princess (The Man in The High Castle) received a 2016 UBCP/ACTRA’s Emerging Actor nomination. She made her debut as a filmmaker with Akashi-あかし-
(2017) which she wrote, produced, directed, and starred in. The short film is based on her play NeOn-ね音- which was part of the 2016 Vancouver Fringe Festival and 2017’s
rEvolver Festival and Powell Street Festival.
Below are the awards from her Short “AKASHI-あかし-“. Best Actor award at the East Van Showcase, TELUS Storyhive 2016 Digital Shorts Grand Prize, Outstanding Writer at NBC Universal Short Film Festival, Best Female Director at Vancouver Short Film Festival, Matrix Award for outstanding achievement in a short film at the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival.
Mayumi is repped by Gersh, Characters Talent Agency and Hertzberg Media.
His latest narrative project is the award-winning web series Inconceivable, which has gone on to be nominated for Breakthrough Short Form Series at the prestigious IFP Gotham Awards in 2017.
Nach also co-wrote and co-produced the 2017 short film Cypher. The short film has gone on to play multiple festivals internationally, recently taking home 5 awards (Best Short Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Cinematography, and Best Sound Design) at Vancouver Short Film Festival, and is nominated for Best Screenplay, Best Editing, and Best Sound Design at the Leos.
|Saturday||June 9, 2018||12:00 am PST||Registration Open|
|Saturday||June 16, 2018||10:00am –
|VAFF Industry Insight Panel Series: Diversity in Filmmaking
Workshop Day/MAMM Kick-Off Event – 4 Panel Workshops, 1 Day
|Friday||July 13, 2018||9:00 pm PST||Registration and Video Pitch Submission Deadline|
|Monday||July 23, 2018||9:00 pm PST||Selected Teams Adjudication Results Provided|
|Tuesday||July 24 –
August 11, 2018
|9:00 pm PST||MAMMentorship program for selected teams|
|Friday||August 10, 2018||9:00 pm PST||Creative Element Provided for selected 10 minute teams|
|Saturday||August 11 2018||12:00 am PST||Film Production/Post Production Begins|
|Monday||August 20, 2018||9:00 pm PST||Film Submission Deadline|
MAMM 13 Judges
MAMM 13 Production Team
Mayumi Yoshida | Nach Dudsdeemaytha
Lynne Lee, Festival Director, VAFF | Vincent Wong, Marketing Director, VAFF
Graphic Design/2018 Logo Designer:
Briana Aubrey, VAFF
Clement Woo, Social Media Director, VAFF | Justin Kwan, Digital Content Editor, VAFF
MAMM 13 Prizes and Promotion
- With new MAMMentorship program for teams whose video pitches are selected, featuring one-on-one mentorship with selected teams and industry professionals!
- Group workshops available to both 10 minute & 1 minute teams.
- VAFF will contact team leads to arrange for behind the scenes (BTS) filming during their production period.
- VAFF will provide digital and print promotion for the selected teams.
- Cash prize and industry in-kind prizes to the TOP TWO adjudicated winning 10 minute shorts, TOP TWO adjudicated winning 1 minute ultra shorts, and in-kind prizes to the Fans Choice Award winners.
- The TOP TWO adjudicated winning 10 minute shorts and TOP TWO adjudicated winning 1 minute ultra shorts, as well as the Fans Choice Award winners will be announced and awarded at the MAMM premiere and awards presentation gala – mid September 2018 and will be showcased at the 22nd Annual Vancouver Asian Film Festival, November 1-4, 2018.
- Distribution for the winning shorts may be available through VAFF media partners.
MAMM 13 Partners and Sponsors
Sponsors & Media Partners:
Novus TV | LNG Studios | Pacific Backlot | Cineworks | Fusion Cine | Vince Mai | Justin Aucoin-Craft Cave Sound | Hollywood North Magazine | Dahong Pilipino
Celluloid Social Club | Raindance Vancouver | Vancouver Queer Film Festival | Vancouver Short Film Festival