The Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM) is an annual short film-making competition celebrating its 15th year of supporting, fostering and showcasing emerging Asian and mixed Asian filmmakers. Choose the Genre. Pitch the Story. Make the Film.
MIGHTY ASIAN MOVIEMAKING MARATHON
What is MAMM?
What's New This Year?
In spite of the unprecedented changes and challenges we have to face due to CoVid-19, we did not want to cancel the competition this year, and therefore necessary changes need to be made to ensure the safety, and fun, for all participants.
- This year only, Registration and Pitch Submission is FREE OF CHARGE!
- There will only be a 5 minute Shorts category.
- Top 10 Teams will be selected for competition.
- More awards will be given out for more categories.
- There will be a maximum number of 6 members in each Team on set, to include all cast & crew.
- Film Production must follow WorkSafeBC health & safety protocols strictly, and each Team must come up with their own COVID-19 Safety Plan for their teams with the help of the MAMM Producing team.
- You must incorporate how you respond to the Creative Element – “What’s your 20?” into your video pitch.
- Because we know it will be a lot harder and take longer to make a film with social distancing in place, this year’s competition will not be 10 days. You will have three weeks to make and deliver your film. The production period commences from the start of the MAMMentorship program on July 25 and films must be delivered by the Final Film submission deadline on Aug 15.
- The MAMMentorship program will be held in the form of Webinars.
- MAMM15 is going NATIONWIDE! Any resident of Canada can lead a Team to enter from anywhere in the country.
MAMMentorship and Production
To help emerging filmmakers make the best film they can, VAFF offers the top 10 selected teams to take part in the MAMMentorship program for a $20 fee.
In this program, qualifying teams will join specialized workshops by industry professionals and be paired with one of the professionals as their team mentor. The Production period is extended this year and Teams can create their own schedules from prep to shoot to post, as long as submission including uploading of the Final Film meets the deadline. All completed films will receive a screening at the MAMM15 Screening Event as well as at VAFF 2020 in November. Final Films will be adjudicated by a panel of elite judges to win cash and in-kind prizes!
- Registration is from June 15, 2019 – July 15, 2020.
- Complete the registration form
- Video Pitch Submissions before July 15, 2020.
- A maximum of thirty (30) registered video pitch teams total are accepted, in the order applications are received, after which registration will be closed.
- Any questions regarding your registrations can be emailed to email@example.com
See the MAMM 15 Registration Information Package for more details.
Creative Element - What's your 20?
- This year’s challenge is how the teams respond to the creative element – “What’s Your 20?” which is based on this year’s festival theme. The film would be the answer to that question and each team must be able to articulate how it has done so in its pitch.
- How the film answers the creative element must be included as part of the Video Pitch as well as a written statement included in the registration form.
- Adjudication will be based on whether the creative element has been observed, and how creatively it’s been answered.
MAMM 15 Prizes and Promotion
The perks of being selected for one of the top 10 competing teams include exclusive mentorship, marketing opportunities, prizes and special screenings. Specifically:
1. MAMMentorship program:
- one-on-one mentorship with selected teams and industry professionals, with special focus on screenwriting.
- group workshops via Zoom.
2. Digital promotion for the selected teams on social media and PR opportunities.
3. Cash prizes and industry in-kind prizes will be awarded for the following adjudicated categories.
- Best Short Film Award | Best Director Award | Best Performance Award | Best Screenwriting Award
4. In-kind prizes are given to the audience voted People’s Choice Award winners.
- People’s Choice Award: Best Overall Short | People’s’ Choice Award: Best Performance
All the aforementioned winners will be announced and awarded at the MAMM premiere and awards presentation Event on August 29, 2020, and will be showcased at the 24th Annual Vancouver Asian Film Festival, November 5-8, 2020.
Distribution for the winning shorts may be available through VAFF media partners.
|Monday||June 15, 2020||12:00 am PST||Registration Open|
|Wednesday||July 15, 2020||11:59 pm PST||Registration and Video Pitch Submission Deadline|
|Monday||July 20, 2020||9:00 pm PST||Selected Teams Adjudication Results Provided|
|Saturday-Sunday||July 25-26, 2020||TBD||MAMMentorship Workshops for selected teams online|
|July 25, 2020
August 15, 2020
|12:00 am PST
11:59 pm PST
|Competition Period (Film Production/Post Production)|
|Monday||August 3, 2020||9:00 pm PST||Script Submission Deadline|
|Saturday||August 15, 2020||11:59 pm PST||Film Submission Deadline|
|Saturday||August 29, 2020||TBD||MAMM15 Screening & Awards Presentation|
Looking for local talent for your film project?
Looking for actors and production team members for your independent film project?
Check out our MAMM Talent Pool on Facebook to find some fantastic local talent to work on your shoot.
MAMM 15 Judges
Warren P. Sonoda
MAMM 15 Production Team
Mayumi Yoshida | Nach Dudsdeemaytha | Joshua Lam
Lynne Lee, Festival Director, VAFF | Regina Leung, PR Director, VAFF
MAMM Marketing Team:
Madison Wong, Marketing Manager
Lemon Jian, MAMM / Marketing Assistant
Sarah Zhao, Social Media Editor
Shastina Kumar, Social Media Editor
Nicole Feng, Graphic Designer
Van Mai, Graphic Designer
Erika Lorbes, Media Relations
William Hu, Web Admin