MIGHTY ASIAN MOVIEMAKING MARATHON
Looking for local talent for your film project?
What is MAMM?
The Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM) celebrates its 14th year of supporting and showcasing emerging filmmakers.
Diversity in Filmmaking
MAMM14 kicks off with an all-day VAFF Industry Insight Panel Series: Diversity in Filmmaking Day on Sunday June 23rd with a series of panel workshops on different aspects of filmmaking. The event’s ticket is on sale now. Buy Tickets!
MAMMentorship and Production
For the second year, teams whose video pitches are selected to advance will be able to take part in the MAMMentorship program! In this program, qualifying teams with have access to a full day of specialized workshops by industry professionals and be paired with one of these professionals as their team mentor. Production happens for ten days in early August, after which the completed films will watched by our panel of elite MAMM14 judges and the top films in each category chosen to win cash and in-kind prizes!
Gala Screening & Awards Presentation
Who will win the MAMM14 challenge? Join us at the MAMM14 Gala Screening & Awards event 7:00 pm on Saturday August 31, 2019 at the Vancouver Playhouse, as we screen the completed shorts and unveil the winners! With live voting, you the audience will also help us select the Fan’s Choice Award for best overall short/ultra short and best overall performance. Come see the top films, and stay to congratulate your favourite teams in person at the after-party.
- Registration is from May 20, 2019 – July 7, 2019.
- Non-refundable registration fee of $50 per team for 10 minute short category and $10 per team for 1 minute ultrashort category.
- Video Pitch Submissions not necessary to 1 minute ultrashort category.
- 10 minute short category registration
- 1 minute ultrashort category registration
See the MAMM 2019 Registration Information Package for more details.
MAMM 14 Prizes and Promotion
- MAMMentorship program for teams whose video pitches advance from the initial round of selection:
- one-on-one mentorship with selected teams and industry professionals
- group workshops available to both 10 minute & 1 minute teams.
- VAFF will contact team leads to arrange for behind the scenes (BTS) filming during their production period.
- VAFF will provide digital and print promotion for the selected teams.
- Cash prize and industry in-kind prizes for the TOP TWO adjudicated winning 10 minute shorts, TOP TWO adjudicated winning 1 minute ultra shorts, and in-kind prizes to the Fans Choice Award winners.
- The TOP TWO adjudicated winning 10 minute shorts and TOP TWO adjudicated winning 1 minute ultra shorts, as well as the Fans Choice Award winners will be announced and awarded at the MAMM premiere and awards presentation gala – August 31, 2019 and will be showcased at the 23rd Annual Vancouver Asian Film Festival, November 7-10, 2019.
- Distribution for the winning shorts may be available through VAFF media partners.
|Monday||May 20, 2019||12:00 am PST||Registration Open|
|Sunday||June 23, 2019||10:00am –
|VAFF Industry Insight Panel Series: Diversity in Filmmaking
Workshop Day/MAMM Kick-Off Event – 4 Panel Workshops, 1 Day
|Sunday||July 7, 2019||9:00 pm PST||Registration and Video Pitch Submission Deadline|
|Friday||July 12, 2019||9:00 pm PST||Selected Teams Adjudication Results Provided|
|Saturday||July 20, 2019||9:00 pm PST||MAMMentorship program workshop day for selected teams, venue TBD|
|Monday||July 29, 2019||9:00 pm PST||Script Submission Deadline|
|Friday||August 2-11, 2019||12:00 am PST||Competition (Film Production/Post Production) Begins|
|Sunday||August 11, 2019||9:00 pm PST||Film Submission Deadline|
|Saturday||August 31, 2019||7:00 pm PST||MAMM14 Gala Screening & Awards Presentation at the Vancouver Playhouse Theatre|
MAMM14 Creative Producers
Her role as Crown Princess (The Man in The High Castle) received a 2016 UBCP/ACTRA’s Emerging Actor nomination. She made her debut as a filmmaker with Akashi-あかし-
(2017) which she wrote, produced, directed, and starred in. The short film is based on her play NeOn-ね音- which was part of the 2016 Vancouver Fringe Festival and 2017’s
rEvolver Festival and Powell Street Festival.
Below are the awards from her Short “AKASHI-あかし-“. Best Actor award at the East Van Showcase, TELUS Storyhive 2016 Digital Shorts Grand Prize, Outstanding Writer at NBC Universal Short Film Festival, Best Female Director at Vancouver Short Film Festival, Matrix Award for outstanding achievement in a short film at the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival.
Mayumi is repped by Gersh, Characters Talent Agency and Hertzberg Media.
His latest narrative project is the award-winning web series Inconceivable, which has gone on to be nominated for Breakthrough Short Form Series at the prestigious IFP Gotham Awards in 2017.
Nach also co-wrote and co-produced the 2017 short film Cypher. The short film has gone on to play multiple festivals internationally, recently taking home 5 awards (Best Short Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Cinematography, and Best Sound Design) at Vancouver Short Film Festival, and is nominated for Best Screenplay, Best Editing, and Best Sound Design at the Leos.
MAMM 14 Production Team
Mayumi Yoshida | Nach Dudsdeemaytha
Lynne Lee, Festival Director, VAFF | Vincent Wong, Creative Director, VAFF
Partners and Media Relations:
Regina Leung, PR VAFF