The Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM) celebrates its 11th year during Summer of 2016 of supporting and showcasing emerging local filmmakers with a bigger national competition. MAMM 11 awards screening + after party event will be on September 1, 2016.
MAMM 11 awards screening + after party - September 1, 2016
It is down to the "MAGNIFICENT SEVEN". Who will win the Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon challenge? Find out which teams will get the top adjudicated prizes. To celebrate MAMM 11, we will be screening the TOP SEVEN MAMM Finalists and you can help us select the "Fan’s choice award” (overall short and overall performance) at the Awards Screening Gala on September 1, 2016. Congratulate your favourite teams in person at the after party.
MAMM 11 Information Package The registration is now closed. Questions regarding your submissions can be emailed to email@example.com
- Non-refundable registration fee of $50 per team.
- Contest registration remains open until the maximum number of teams (30 registrations/video pitches received) is reached, after which registration will be closed.
- Registration is now closed.
MAMM 11 Judges
- Nadia DiMofte, Regional Director, RAINDANCE Vancouver
- Jason Karman, Screenwriter and Director
- Robert David Duncan, Festival Director, Minature Film Festival
MAMM 11 Prizes and Promotion
- VAFF will contact the team leads of the finalists' video pitches, to arrange for behind the scenes filming during their production period.
- VAFF will provide digital and print promotion for the top finalists.
- $5,000 Cash prize and industry in-kind prizes to the top 2 winning shorts and in-kind prize to the Fans Choice Award.
- Top 2 winning shorts will be showcased at the 20th Annual Vancouver Asian Film Festival, November 2016.
MAMM 11 Partners and Sponsors
MAMM trophy and cash prize sponsored by Annual Exclusive Title Sponsor: National Bank
Bruno Cruz Cinematography | Calabash Bistro | Cineplex | Pacific Backlot
Cinevolution | Raindance Vancouver | Taiwanese Vancouver Film Festival
UBC Film School | Vancouver Short Film Festival | Vancouver Queer Film Festival
Vancouver Web Fest
About Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM)
Mighty Asian Moviemaking Marathon (MAMM) is VAFF's premier annual short filmmaking contest. Its purpose is to foster emerging filmmakers and offer them both an educational experience as well as an opportunity to showcase their work to audiences and potential distributors.
Founded 10 years ago, the competition has evolved from a 7-day competition, primarily using the dramatic narrative format where fun elements such as fortune cookie fortunes were incorporated into storylines; MAMM has now expanded to a 10-day contest, with an adjudicated pitch session, and added documentary category - the only short film competition with this genre in Vancouver.
The then-prevalent stereotype was that Asian Canadians had no interest in filmmaking. Fortunately, the independent filmmaking landscape of Metro Vancouver and BC has changed in the last 10 years, including many more Asian Canadians both in front of and behind the camera, working professionally in the commercial, independent film, TV and video industry. MAMM and VAFF are proud to have been integral in this change in the film and media landscape.